Has spending time outdoors at home this summer got you thinking about ways to spruce up your space? Updating an outdoor living area is definitely at the top of many Hoosier’s “wish lists” for home improvement! If you’re thinking your outdoor space could use an update, consider these 5 exterior design ideas!
1. Give your deck or patio a “rooftop” flair.
Your deck or patio doesn’t have to be downtown to have the flair of a stylish hotel rooftop! By working to better define your home’s exterior design, you can both implement your tastes and meet functional needs such as a more convenient spot for the outdoor kitchen and a larger seating capacity. More specific exterior design details could include:
- Repainting or refinishing the decking or patio to give it a refreshed look;
- Adding lush greenery for privacy and/or visual interest;
- Incorporating hotel-inspired designs like decorative lighting, weather-resistant carpeting or a fire pit;
- Leaving enough room for multiple kinds of seating to include sectional couches, lounge chairs, a small round table with chairs, etc.
- And, adding a stone walkway to make for easier movement.
2. Use as much of your outdoor space as you can.
The area below a deck is often forgotten in home improvements, but if done right, this improvement can double your available entertaining space outdoors, and provide some much-needed shade in the hot summer months!
3. Invest in a covered seating area.
This home previously had a generously sized deck off the kitchen, and the homeowners decided to expand their living space by creating a covered seating area and outdoor kitchen. This space now features ample – comfortable – seating, a fireplace, built-in television and a grill area. They now use the space for summer cookouts as well as watching football games in the fall.
4. A three-season room can be a happy medium for the cooler seasons.
A space that exists entirely outdoors is wonderful for the months where the weather is cooperating, but here in the Midwest, that’s not always the case! If you still want to experience the fresh air, the fire pit and evening hosting under the stars all year round, consider a three-season room. Our client in Carmel added square footage to the home with this room, featuring E-Z Breeze doors with full access to the new adjoining patio. The homeowners can now enjoy the perks of a beautiful outdoor setup within the comfort of the indoors- what could be better than that?
5. You don’t need a ton of room to enjoy the outdoors!
The key is making it comfortable and convenient enough to use – this couple achieved that by constructing a screened-in porch addition below, which made the room for an en suite balcony that included lounge chairs and a view of the surrounding woods and creek. By adding a small table or an ottoman to stretch your legs, you’ll be able to level-up an outdoor space of any size.